DIY Hydrangea Wreath -Almost FREE

I have always loved hydrangeas; they have beautiful blooms that last all summer and that dry beautifully to last all winter. I was overjoyed when we moved into our new home and one entire side of the house was full of these plants.  Our hydrangeas produced beautiful pink and green blooms this year and I could not resist making something out of them. 
 
Our local garden center sells amazing hydrangea wreaths (out of artificial paper type flowers) for a not so amazing price tag of $60 each. Being far too cheap to spend anything close to that price for 2 wreaths, I knew I could make them for next to nothing with my fresh flowers. Grand total for my project $0 for two wreaths!!!!!!!!  I had two wreaths forms and all the other materials on hand.  

I made one wreath three weeks ago to see how it would dry before making the second one and it has dried amazingly well.  I think this wreath, if stored properly in off seasons, will last for years.  The flowers kept their color and have not gone brittle after they dried. 

Materials:
Wreath (Never buy a wreath again...use The Penny Parlor’s trick of using plumbing tubing and duck tape. AMAZING!)
Hot glue or fine gauge wire
Hydrangea flowers
Twine or ribbon
Raffia (if you want a bow)

Method:
I waited until the beginning of fall to arrive so the cold weather made the pink in the flower darken to a deep pink/purple.

I cut off various sizes of blooms that were still packed nicely together and not wilted.
( Use flowers like this)
 (Avoid flowers like this)
Clip the hydrangea stem completely off. Cut right to where the flower starts, this way the flower bulb almost fits perfectly around the wreath.  (Note: I used some hydrangea leaves on the first wreath and they did not dry well.  They ended up browning and shriveling up not very nicely.)
I used a little less than one grocery tub of flowers per wreath.

Loop the hanging ribbon or twine around the wreath before you start and secure it in place.

If gluing, put a lot of hot glue on the wreath and press the flower branches to the glue. Be careful not to burn yourself! If you only glue the flower petals on, when the flower dries they might fall off.




If using wire, just start wrapping the flowers with the wire to the wreath.

I am placing these on my front doors so I did not do the entire back side of the wreath. I knew you would not see the back and it would lay flatter

Keep going around the wreath until you reach the desired fullness.  You can cut the flower balls into smaller pieces to fill in gaps if needed.

Make ribbon or raffia bow and secure to the wreath.


DONE!
 

Let me know what you think.

See My 'Parties I've Linked To' page for some amazing linked parties!

I can not tell you how honored I feel to be featured on one of my absolute favorite blogs Under the Table and Dreaming.  Thank you Stephanie Lynn!


Comments

  1. GORGEOUS! Do you know which variety of hydrangea this is? Thanks!

    eworban@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello EORBAN,

    I believe these plants are Hydrangea Macrophylla (Big leaf) in the All Summer Beauty variety. I could be wrong but this is what they appear to be. We live in Southern Ontario and this type does well around here.
    I hope this helps,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job. Thanks for sharing. I hope I have enough blooms left on my bush for these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie Your wreaths are simply gorgeous! I love them both and they look fabulous hanging on your double doors. Thanks so much for linking to The Sunday Showcase. I'll be featuring this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a wonderful week. ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stephanie! I love Hydrangeas as well! I planted three last spring. When they bloom again I'll have to remember this post! Thank's for giving a shout out to my blog! :) Enjoy your day!

    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Hydrangea's and I think your wreath is beautiful! It's too bad we can't grow them over here in Alberta;(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! These are beautiful! You are very creative lady. Glad I found your blog. I am your newest follower. Come join me over at www.myhappinessexperiment.blogspot.com.
    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow-this is magnificent -love anything Hydrangeas and this wreath is gorgeous! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome wreath. I'm so doing this next year. My hydrangeas looks very similar to yours. Thanks for sharing the wreath form tip as well! Very smart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hydrangeas are my favorite, I have lots of them in my back yard. Now I know what to do with them! I have heard that you can dry them using silica. You didn't dry yours first? How long do they last on the wreath if you let them dry naturally like that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! I love hydrangeas! Ill have to find a friend that I can steal some clippings from.

    Its perfect for those months that don't have a holiday in them :)

    New follower!
    foundintheali.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I posted a link back to your blog on my blog. I love your wreath & plan to copy them! Thanks for sharing!!! - Susan @http://journalingmywaythrough2010.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! Love your blog! Need to get a hydrangea bush on day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your website. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme? Exceptional work!
    entrance door handles

    ReplyDelete
  15. Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting This up. this website is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!


    About.me
    Information
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made certain nice points in features also.

    Walleyecentral.com
    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts