Sunday, December 11, 2011

Monogrammed Ornament using Nail Polish

I came up with this Monogrammed Ornament idea by trying to post crafts that did not require a Silhouette or Cricut (as promised). This is a glass ornament was really simple and is nice on the tree.

Materials:
Glass ball ornament
Monogram Stickers (I got mine at the Dollar Store)
Nail polish

Method:
I have this really horrible red glitter nail polish. The color is nice as it is a deep red but the glitter gets everywhere! When you try to remove it from your nails, you are litterally left with glitter all over your hands, counter...horrible stuff. And being the pack rat I am, I never threw it out. I guess I knew it would come in handy.

I cut the monogram initial sticker out of the sticker book.
 Using the outer part of the letter as the template, I stuck it carefully to the ornament.
 I used a small section of a toilet paper roll to keep the ball from rolling around on the table. This is an important step..otherwise you might end up with nail polish on your surface.
Paint the area you want colored with a good amount of nail polish. I didn't know if 2 coats would work, so I did one thick coat of red nail polish.
 Once done, let it dry. This is the step I failed to do. I quickly removed the sticker and didn't end up with really clean lines. Be patient and wait until it dries completely. It will take a little longer because the nail polish is thick.
 Once dry, hang it on the tree. The lights actually shine through my nail polish and look amazing.
Sorry I couldn't get a great photo of it. But I think you get the idea.

I had all the materials on hand so it cost me nothing! There are so many possibilities you could do with this.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Stephanie

6 comments:

  1. Using a toilet paper roll like that is genius! I will be remembering that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to reuse "trash" lol. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea! I'm gonna have to try this out!

    (as for removing glitter polish? Try the foil method. It will change your life!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is complete freaking brilliance. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am having trouble finding the monogrammed letters. I been to every dollar store in my area. Also how did you stick them on the glass bulb?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips